Distance: 22 km
Duration: approximately 9 hours (with stops)
Marking: red marks
Starting point: Monastery Gorgoepikou Fytokou
Maximum altitude: 1290 m. (Lagonika)
Drinking water in the path: no
This is one of the largest routes in Pelion, following in the footsteps of keratzidon (conductive) and loggers who were moving on the wooded hillsides.
Anyone who arrived in Lagonika coming from the northeastern Pelion, had the following main features: a. Proceed southwest to Chamorigani, from there to turn left passing Elatorema and then through the bridge Karya to arrive at Tranos Isoma. b. To follow the northwest path to Antovito and from there could either continue north to Kokkinogeia-Ano Kerasia-Flambouri or through Monastery of Sourvia to head south to the bridge of Alevizo-Fytoko-Volos or west to Kato Kerasia Lake and Karla. c. Halfway to Antovito they could turn southwest, taking another path to the chapel of St. Nicholas, passing the ravine Kaliakouda a bit above the bridge of Lestianis, to go out in the clearing of Loutsa and from there to Fytoko and Volos. This latter route will be described here, walking from Volos to Puri.
We arrive from Volos to Fytoko by car and just before the parking lot to the church, we follow the cement-paved road left up to the monastery Panagia Gorgoepikou (there are signs). At the left of the monastery entrance starts a narrow trail road (only for jeeps). We take the road and 1300 meters away we park the car and start trekking by the corral following the north-northwest direction. The soil is rocky, smooth, with sparse flora.
A while after, the trail begins to descend towards a shallow ravine. We go up to the ridge across, and then we follow the right path into an elongated field. At the end we follow the trail that goes up towards the northeast and arrive in the large clearing of Loutsa, at the point located in the Military Geographical Service (692 m.). Next to that point there is a threshing. Right in front of us there is the unique tree of the area, and next there is a pond (Souvala) and a corral. At the west lies lake Karla. From here also begins the route Makrynitsa-Lestiani-Kato Kerasia.
From Souvala we follow down the glade on the north-northeast course. We soon turn right to enter a straight path full of plants vegetation that later begins to descend steeply, with successive zig-zags, to reach the great ravine of Kaliakouda. We cross the creek at the highest point above the bridge of Lestiani and go up the bank accross. At the Trail junction we turn left, to arrive at the chapel of St. Nicholas.
We follow the uphill trail road that starts in front of the church and we continue left along the ascending path. We take the left route at the trail cross that descends to the monastery of Sourvia. Then we follow the right route that continues uphill with open bends towards the northeast and comes in an open area. On the upper side the path becomes narrow. Soon we will see on our left a blue water pipe. We follow the pipe to reach a wide path on the right side of a ravine.
After the ravine begins a long valley and a bit higher there is a trail road that leads to Xirakia-Antovito. We keep on following the pipe to reach a square bench. At the crosspath we keep on following the pipe up right, to reach a long clearing with apple trees. Then we leave the pipe and walk straight ahead along the clearing. We go down to reach a ravine, we cross it to follow the bank accross among the oak trees to reach a clearing from where begins the road to Chamorigani. We take the road on the left that leads to Xirakia-Antovito and soon we reach a shallow creek.
From here we follow the eastern ascending path to reach the cross-path to Antovito. We take the right side of the path to reach an ascending path with red marks that leads to an oak forest. We go though the forest to find another crossroad, from where our path continues to the southwest.
We then reach a ravine on the left, we go down our path, which becomes narrow, we enter the oaks once again and at the clearing, we turn left, following the marks, to descend again to the ravine. We cross the ravine and through the descending south-east path, we reach the peak of Lagonika (1295 m.). This is the highest point of our route.
Then our path becomes descending. In front of us lays the peak of Pourianos Stavros, the highest one in Pelion (1624 m.). Everywhere around us are thick oak forests that cover the landscape, allowing us from a certain point to admire the great Lagonika ravine reaching the Aegean sea. We continue up the ravine to reach Kanalakia.
Here we see the path that comes from West haven – Makrynitsa to Pouri and goes down on a narrower path first towards north and then northeast, until we meet the groove brings water from the source of Lagonika. If you follow the groove to the left, you will reach the little source of Lagonika. We turn right towards Pouri, constantly marching along a rural road and next to the groove for an hour, to finally arrive at the chapel of Agia Marina, at an altitude of 1005 m., next to a large open cistern. The church was built over a century ago, right after the granting of the use of Pouri source by the local community in 1891, which was very important for the village. Actually, the first water reached the certain point on the feast day of Saint Marina on July 17.
We follow the groove, descending to the right by the church, to reach a trail road. On the right begins the path to Pouri. However, there is an alternative path that goes past the chapel of St. Elias. At the cross path we turn right, we pass a creek and finally we reach a path that goes through some chestnut trees. The path leads to a farm with apple trees. We then find the groove again, we turn right at the crosspath to reach Profitis Elias, where there is a wooden kiosk. The location offers spectacular views to Zagora, Chorefto Anilio and Mouresi, from the Aegean sea, up to Kotroni peak (1550 m.).
We follow down the road, we cross an estate to find our path again on our right. Out path descends to a road. We walk by the reservoir of the aqueduct, where the road ends left, to follow the path on the right that leads us to the village. The route ends at the church of St. Dimitrios on Pouri square.